Oct 24, 15 bean soup recipe

"A 15 Bean Soup Recipe that's Flavorful & Nutritious".

It's great for large amounts of people like at party's. You can bet you wont be taking home any leftovers.

This mixed bean soup with hambones or chopped ham has a great flavor that's not to salty and is good all year round, in the scorching sun or in a stormy blizzard.

Now, If you want you can add thing's to this soup like carrots or potatoes to make your own mixed bean soup.

1. Put the beans in a large pot and add 4 cups of water.

Simmer on medium high heat for 45 minutes. Stir Occasionally. Skim the top with a spoon to remove the foam once in awhile.

If at anytime the water gets too low add another cup of water. A pressure cooker can drastically reduce the cooking time of the beans. Make sure you get a good one though and not a piece of junk.

I like the Cuisinart 6-qt. Pressure Cooker for quite a few different reasons. One being that its more affordable and another would be the 3 year warranty.
The reason we cook the beans in the water first is because salt and acids can cause the beans to take MUCH longer to cook.

2. Put 1 cup of water and 4 cups of broth in another large pot or stock pot, add 2 cups chopped ham or a 1 lb ham hock that has the bone ( if you don't have any ham you can use a pound of bacon for your soup ) and simmer on medium high heat for 30 minutes.

3. In a large frying pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat it up on medium heat.

4. While the oil is heating up put 2 celery stalks, 1 red onion, 1/4 cup fresh parsley and 3 garlic cloves in a food processor and chop them up. Don't Puree it!

5. Then add the mix to the frying pan and add 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon dill, and 1 teaspoon dried thyme and fry it up for 4 minutes. Stirring Occasionally.

6. Now add the contents of the frying pan and the can of tomatoes to the pot with the ham and broth in it, stir it well and continue simmering.

7. After simmering the ham and broth for 30 minutes pour it into the pot with the beans. If your using a ham hock remove the ham hock and pick the pieces of ham off that you want to add to the soup discarding the fatty pieces , add what you want to keep into the beans and then add the broth to the beans and simmer for 30 minutes.

Voila, it's finished. Now eat a bowl full or 2 and enjoy your new 15 bean soup recipe.

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

My version of 15 bean soup  starstarstarstarstar
I also add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables or broccoli and a can of chili beans and then freeze it in single servings for my lunches.

Question about 15 bean soup recipe  starstarstar
Question about 15 bean soup recipe

Do you discard the water after cooking the beans or do you add the water and broth ham(step 2) to the pot with the ...

MMmmmm good  starstar
I really missed my Mother's soups, especially 15 bean. This looks like a wonderful recipe and close to how she would have made it!

Love soups  Not rated yet
I am considering adding a link to this blog on my lens called recession soup: http://www.squidoo.com/recessionsoup

15 bean soup without ham  Not rated yet
Hi, I have made this soup twice.

Once with the ingrediants above and the other time without the ham and I used vegetable stock instead of Chicken....

Delicious!  Not rated yet
This soup recipe sounds fantastic! I'll bet it would be great with some sweet corn kernels, and/or diced sweet potatoes, and you could add it to your potato ...

Yum -- or try with hot dogs  Not rated yet
My kids thought this "15-bean soup" had only 15 beans in it. :)

I forgot to get the ham, but I had hot dogs in the freezer. The whole family loved ...

15 bean soup  Not rated yet
I didn't know that about soaking the beans in water first. That was a very helpful tip. Can't wait to serve this dish up to my family over the weekend!...

Good Soup  Not rated yet
Being someone who makes this kind of soup regularly, this is a good recipe. A couple of flaws with the spelling but I can follow it well. I find adding ...

15 Bean Soup Sounds Yummy!  Not rated yet
This 15 bean soup sounds great and I do not think I have ever heard of anything like it! Cant wait to try it!

Mmmmm  Not rated yet
This 15 bean soup recipe sounds delicious! I'll bet some fresh lemon juice and/or rind would really add some zing.

mmmmmm mmm good!  Not rated yet
Wow! This sounds great. I usually make a Tuscan Bean soup but this 15 bean soup would make a wonderful alternative. I have never tried it with the Thyme ...

Looks Good  Not rated yet
This 15 bean soup recipe looks good. I think if I were making it I'd probably add a small amount of chili powder or Tony ChaCheres to add some spice to ...

Sounds yummy  Not rated yet
I'm a poor college student trying to find cheaper ways to eat. Beans are pretty cheap and 15 bean soup sounds so good! I didn't even know there were 15 ...

15 Bean Soup  Not rated yet
Whenever I make 15 bean soup, I soak the beans overnight. That eliminates the prep work of simmering the beans. If you then cook them on low for 6-8 ...

15 Bean Soup Recipe   Not rated yet
This sounds like our recipe but we add polish sausage along with the ham to our 15 bean soup. It makes it all that much more tasty.

Ham and 15 Bean Soup  Not rated yet
This recipe sounds so good. I loved the 15 bean soup which I just picked up at the store yesterday. I really like how easy it is and the end result is ...

15 bean soup - excellent !   Not rated yet
I will be trying this 15 bean soup recipe very soon --- and I would suggest a glass of white wine & crusty french bread to go with. Thanks for the recipe....

Comment on Bean Soup  Not rated yet
It sound very good and hearty. Perfect for a cold/wet rainy day or night, but it also looks very time consuming as well.

Also a great Vegetarian recipe with a couple of Tweaks  Not rated yet
I LOVE this recipe.

And as a vegetarian, I would follow it precisely with just a couple of modifications. I would remove the ham/ham hock and replace ...

Make it vegetarian!  Not rated yet
If you take out the 2 c chopped ham or a 1 lb ham hock with hambones and exchange it for some zucchini and squash and replace the chicken stock with vegetable ...

steaming bowl of soup  Not rated yet
I think I'll drag out my Hamilton Beach Crockpot
, and give this 15 bean soup recipe a try. Now that the weather has grown cool, this recipe sounds ...


View the original article here